11 June 2013

Good Eats

Eating healthy and nutritious food is the cornerstone of a healthy life style. Here are some of my choices I make on a good day. Sure somedays I will order a pizza and watch T.V but it important to me that I have a whole plethora of go-to healthy options that are easy to prepare and delicious to eat. I'd love to hear some of your ideas for quick and healthy clean meals or how I can do it better, and yes, I know I use cheese as a condiment a lot. I can't let it go. You know I am a cheesy guy right?

Breakfast: Well oatmeal is a classic for a reason. Oatmeal I love thee. I am really digging Irish steel cut oatmeal with some blueberries, chia seeds, a few almonds, raisins, ground flax seed, half a sliced banana and a drizzle of little honey and add some almond milk. In terms of Irish Steel Cut oatmeal, you can prepare some beforehand in a big pot and eat it through the week. You can also grab some quick prep. oats but I actually like em' chewy. Here is a little rule of thumb when deciding whether something is 'whole grain': can you see the whole grain? Put your own twist on healthy oatmeal, it is a heavenly way to start the day.
Egg in a cup: To round off breakfast, or for a post morning workout meal, I love an egg (or two) in a cup. Very quick, you can throw an egg with a sprinkling of vegetables (spinach, tomato etc) into the microwave. You can sprinkle a LITTLE cheese on top. Season with a bit of salt and pep, and your choice of hot sauce.
Lunch: Veggie "protein style" burgers with green tea and a side salad. Know for those of you cutting down on sodium, I would suggest one veggie patty. My favorite veggie patty are the Vege Masala Burgers from Trader Joe's. Sprinkle a LITTLE cheese on top (if you are trying to lose weight, emphasis and BOLD, on the LITTLE). I quick side salad to get in more veggies is also important to round off this meal. I love the prepped salad mixes e.g a baby spring mix, and then throw in some chopped celery, cucumber, green pepper, tomatoes...well as much as I can be bothered chopping actually. I
Mid-afternoon Snack: The "Dr. Rob" Drink. You don't need a fancy blender to make a great nutritious drink. My twist on the Dr. Oz drink is a couple of apples, an orange, lemon, cucumber, a handful of spinach, a chunk of pinapple (fresh or frozen) and a little bit of fresh ginger and mint. Throw it in a blender and you have about 4 servings of delicious nutritious pulpy juice. It makes your whole body zing with goodness.
Dinner: A "Greekish" Salad. I love a big salad for dinner. Why Greekish? Well I am loving a bit of feta with my salads. Trader Joe's does a great lite Feta which is light on the calories. I also love the light balsamic dressing from Trader Joe's too. I am also loving adding some chick peas or black beans into my salads to provide a little more protein and it also makes the salad more filling and keeps me satiated for longer. With a Greekish salad, you can't go wrong: Greek salad as a base, then throw in extra veggies, beans etc to make it your own.
Evening cocktail: The "Dirtiest" Martini. I am crazy about olives, and so I really take the dirty martini to the edge of sanity. Hey, you might as well get another serving of veggies in with your evening cocktail right?